Monday, March 27, 2006

Hammering the drunk

KIRBY J: I just think "drunk" is a label and I am a little worried about - it is not necessary to put that label. It is just that they were sufficiently affected by alcohol to affect their capacity to drive.

MR JACKSON: Yes.

KIRBY J: "A drunk" has all sorts of baggage with it.

HAYNE J: Perhaps "hammered" is the more modern expression, Mr Jackson, or "well and truly hammered".

MR JACKSON: I am indebted to your Honour.

KIRBY J: I do not know any of these expressions.

McHUGH J: No, no. Justice Hayne must live a very different life to the sort of life we lead.

KIRBY J: I have never heard that word "hammered" before, never. Not before this very minute.


- Joslyn v Berryman S122/2002
in the High Court of Australia

_______________________________________________________

You can be a judge too!

No comments: